Detoxing after a long weekend of drinking is always a good idea. Whether it’s alcohol, recreational party favors, and unhealthy foods, our bodies require some rest from all the toxins we have fed our bodies.
Detoxification is the removing of toxic impurities from your body which is typically performed by your liver. It’s important to plan a detox period if you have been drinking massive amounts of alcohol or partaking in other activities.
A detox program can help your body conduct it’s natural cleaning process by:
1. Resting the organs through fasting;
2. Stimulating the liver to drive toxins from the body;
3. Improving circulation of the blood; and
4. Refueling the body with healthy nutrients.
Many of us ignore the signals our body gives us letting us know we need to detox. Peter Bennett, N.D., co-author of 7-Day Detox Miracle with Stephen Barrie, N.D., and Sara Faye suggest that everyone should detox at least once a year.
Linda Page, N.D., Ph.D., the author of Detoxification recommends detoxing for symptoms such as:
Puffy eye or bags under the eyes
Detoxing can be challenging for some because we have to cut out the things we love most, alcohol, coffee, cigarettes (weed included), refined sugars, saturated fats, and other recreational activities, all of which act as toxins in the body and are obstacles to our healing process.
Top 10 ways to help your body detoxify:
1. Eat plenty of fiber, including brown rice and organically-grown fresh fruits and vegetables. Beets, radishes, artichokes, cabbage, broccoli, spirulina, chlorella, and seaweed are excellent detoxifying foods.
2. Cleanse and protect the liver by taking herbs such as dandelion root, burdock and milk thistle, and drinking green tea.
3. Take vitamin C, which helps the body produce glutathione, a liver compound that drives away toxins.
4. Drink at least two quarts of water a day.
5. Breathe deeply to allow oxygen to circulate more completely through your system.
6. Transform stress by emphasizing positive emotions.
7. Practice hydrotherapy by taking a very hot shower for five minutes, allowing the water to run on your back. Follow with cold water for 30 seconds. Do this three times, and then get into bed for 30 minutes.
8. Sweat in a sauna so your body can eliminate wastes through perspiration.
9. Dry-brush your skin or try detox foot spas/foot baths to remove toxins through your pores.
10. Exercise, Exercise and more Exercise.
Consult your doctor for other ways to properly detox. The above are suggestions but in no way should be done without a medical professional’s approval.
h/t Gaiam Life