This season, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, is the worst flu season since the 2009 swine flu. As many as 56,000 people die from the flu every year in the USA, and CDC reports many of them older adults and children with compromised immune systems. They say the flu can incubate in the body for one to four days before a person shows any signs of getting sick. People can spread the virus around without showing any symptoms at all. The flu can spread from person to person with transmission from talking, coughing, sneezing, or even just breathing on someone else. It is more likely to cause an infection than simply touching a surface with some flu virus on it and then reaching for your nose and mouth. The virus can persist on hard surfaces for up to 24 hours but survives only about 15 minutes on tissues. It’s recommended to stay 6 feet away from people with the flu.
The flu is widespread across 48 US states right now. It’s impossible to predict how this flu season will end as flu viruses are not predictable. But there are a few things to do to stay healthy and safe. Here’s what you need to know.
The signs of the flu include fever, cough, feeling very tired, sore throat, headache and muscle ache and runny or stuffy nose. The flu shots are less effective this year. The CDC claims the vaccine is only 10% effective this year because there are lots of different strains of the virus. There are mild to horrific side effects to the vaccine, which in my opinion benefits the Big Pharmaceutical companies and the Government.
So what is the flu vaccine? Well, the flu vaccine is filled with toxins that were never tested for long-term safety, because the virus that causes the flu is not a single virus and it changes annually. The flu vaccine cannot protect against all the different strains of the virus and can, therefore, be ineffective, and just another chemical created by Big Pharmaceutical company to get rich. This year so many young children have died from the flu virus who were given the flu shot.
So what is the alternative to the flu shot you might ask? I have never had a flu shot and will not take one and have taken holistic alternatives to the flu vaccine that nurture my immune system. Here are some natural and holistic flu remedies that will help during this cold and flu season:
- Vitamin D : Protect against multiple viruses and prevent against seasonal depressive disorder, also cold and flu. If you are sick, increase your level of vitamin D3. Take at least 3000 IUs D3 daily.
- Vitamin C: a very powerful anti-viral that supports immunity against cold and flu.
- Probiotics: vital to your immune system to function properly and fight off pathogen. We need to have a proper balance of gut flora. Probiotics help, and you get it from food like sauerkraut, yogurt, kefir, sourdough bread, and kombucha.
- Barley and Wheat Grass: Best juices to drink during the cold and flu season. Wheatgrass is the nectar of Rejuvenation and has been called the blood of life in helping purify the body. Barley grass an anti-viral that has been used for centuries with similar qualities. They both cleanse the lymph system and boost your immunity.
- Ginger: The root contains 14 bioactive compounds to help kill disease like cancer and the flu virus. Fresh ginger simmered in water makes for an aromatic tea which helps during the cold and flu season.
- Shiitake Mushrooms: helps to slow down cancerous tumor growth, and great at killing viruses like the flu and bad bacteria of all kinds.
- Elderberry: reduces nasal congestion and effectively fight against the cold and flu. Antivirus found in the proteins of the black elderberry. The compound prevents the flu virus from invading the membranes of healthy cells.
- Echinacea: extracts from 8 different echinacea varieties have anti-viral properties. This is one of my favorite herbs I use during the cold and flu season. I drink the tea when I feel a slight cold might be coming on.
- Liquorice: an anti-viral helps to heal chicken pox shingles and the flu virus.
- Garlic: an amazing healthy food that protects against colds, flu, and many more.
- Olive Leaf: the ancient Egyptians considered the olive tree a symbol of heavenly power because it is a powerful immune boost herb. It has potent phytochemical and powerful antioxidant that will protect against the flu.
- St Johns Worth: this herb boosts your mood from depression and also anti-bacterial and anti-viral from the flu virus.
- Cats Claw: boosts immunity and the natural immune defense of the body. It grows in the Amazon.
- Astragalus: another ancient herb for healing and helps fight numerous diseases, especially for cancer patients. It helps fight the flu. It is an extraordinary immune stimulant and all over tonic. As an antioxidant and adaptogen, astragalus protects the cells from free radical damage.
- Propolis: a bee resin, an anti-microbial compound. Propolis the richest source of caffeic acid and apigenin, two very important compounds that aid in immune response.
- Lemon Balm: a powerful anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory herb. Lemon Balm makes a soothing relaxing cup of anti-viral tea.
- Rose Hip: filled with vitamin C with anti-inflammatory benefits and great immunity support.
- Zinc: very effective in fighting the flu virus. Take zinc immediately to cut down on the length of sickness. Add zinc supplementation or through food like beans, seafood, and lentils.
- Green Tea: helps in fighting the virus also, it has been used as an anti-viral remedy for centuries.
- Quality Sleep: one of the most important medicine is sleep. Lack of sleep makes you prone to diseases. A few nights of good rest can make you more immune to getting the cold or the flu. When your body is tired, your immune system is weaker against fighting viruses. Get at least 7-9 hours of sleep per day.
- Avoid smoking because it weakens your resistance against respiratory illness, and worsens the effect on your body if you become ill from the flu virus.
- Avoid or limit alcoholic beverages, and avoid or limit your intake of processed foods.
In the end, we need to nurture our immune system by taking probiotic supplements and supporting the body through holistic means and natural flu remedies, and holistic virals. These holistic remedies exist without the risk of long-term side effects that have yet to be made public to everyone.
Drinking lots of water will also help the body during the flu season. Wash your hands frequently and open bathroom doors after using, with paper towels and sneeze in your arm. A steam shower is an added benefit. Take a warm bath with essential oils like eucalyptus, rosemary, peppermint, lavender, use it also by placing your face over a steam inhaler. Take a high-quality organic multi-vitamin. Change your diet by eating more organic fruits and vegetables. Drinking a soup which includes 50 cloves of garlic, onions, thyme, and lemon will destroy any virus that enters its path including colds and flu. Drink a bone or veggie broth. Another healthy garlic soup includes unpeeled garlic cloves, olive oil, organic grass-fed butter, cayenne pepper, ginger, onions, thyme, coconut milk, veggie broth, and lemon wedges.
When our body is in alignment, the immune system fights any virus that enters the system. In the end, Let Food Be Thy Medicine.